Business owners have a clear motive to own a shredder. As per the regulations from both the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, all employers are required to destroy compulsorily any documents containing employee’s Social Security numbers, employment history, credit information, current or prior addresses and more. There is always an option to hire a professional agency to destroy these documents for you. However, the cost for the same can be several hundred dollars a year or more. It is always advisable to own a shredder instead of taking an additional risk of involving an agency spending several dollars.
Things to Consider
We do not need to consider and weigh several factors while purchasing a shredder. It is always a simple endeavor. Just make sure that how well and efficiently any given model can carry out its basic functions. That will suffice.
- Number of Sheets
Paper shredders are classified based on its capacity to shred the number of sheets at a time. The cost will increase depending on its capacity to shred the number of sheets. Your choice of shredder can solely depend on the requirement you have at a time.
Paper jamming is a common issue on all models of paper shredder. The severities of the issue in different models are resultant to its cost and capacity. The more you spend the less risk you face.
- Credit cards
Unlike papers, credit cards cannot be shredded very easily. Therefore in lower end shredders cannot shred credit cards as it is not made of simple paper. Some business like banks will have to shred credit cards comparatively at a higher rate. Such business needs to consider its requirement and choose the aptly designed model that meet its purpose.
The volume of paper it can shred at a time before emptying it measures its capacity. The selection of shredder may be resultant to the requirement of the business. That business which has a high volume of papers to shred must choose a moderately a higher sized shredder.
- Type of Cut
Crosscut method is a common feature found in all shredders and comparatively a customer choice, but there are other cutting methods exist, including micro cuts. Some customers may not be aware of the type of cut the shredder they are owning. However, paper jamming may be a factor for different type of cuts.
Home Paper Shredders – The Best List
Fellowes Powrshred 79Ci Jam Proof 16-sheet cross-cut paper shredder is one paper shredder where the name says it all. This shredder does a splendid job living up to its name. It can shred paper, staples, credit cards, paper clips, CDs and DVDs. 100% jam-proof technology is one of the selling points of the Powershred. This shredder can it can power through any shredding situation if it is using properly. The Powershred take 30 minutes cool-down time after running of 20 minutes. 20 minutes continuous run time is much better compared to another shredder so 30 minutes cool downtime also understandable considering the amount of power being used. What I don’t like is the pull-out bin. Its six-gallon size is adequate, it is not the best design. The slot itself is amazing, but its poor bin design keeps it from getting a perfect grade.
- Simple to use.
- Shreds CDs, paper clips, staples, and credit cards, as well as paper
- Not as jam-proof as promised.
- Casters are hard to attach.
- Unusually heavy lid
- 100% jam proof system eliminates paper jams and powers through tough jobs.
- SilentShred offers ultra-quiet shredder performance for shared workspaces.
- Energy savings system provides optimal energy efficiency 100% of the time-in use and out of use.
- SafeSense technology stops shredder when hands touch the paper opening. Average Shred Speed (ppm): 4.3. Auto Reverse: Reverse Function
- Shreds 16 sheets per pass with measurement of 5/32″ x 1-1/2″ cross-cut particles
- P4 security level
- Item dimension H x W x D (inches):21.31 x 15.38 x 10.44
The Fellowes Powershred does well as a moderately priced business shredder for single-person or home office use. It can shred 16 papers per pass and it cut with 3.9×38 mm tiny particles with P4 security level. it can shred papers, CDs, DVDs, Credit cards without removing paper clips or staples. Hundred percent jam proof technology help to eliminate paper jam and powers through hard jobs. Energy saving system powers down after periods of inactivity it will help to reduce energy consumption. The ultra quiet performance of this shredder reduces disturbances in the workplace. Overall, the 79Ci is a well-rounded and solid.
The Swingline 14 sheet paper shredder is the best option for the destruction of your sensitive papers. It’s quite a bit more expensive than the AmazonBasics 6-Sheet, but its stylish design and compact size leads capable and versatile. This shredder has two shredding slots with modern design. It is optimized to shred up to 14 sheets of paper per pass. This is perfect for families or businesses that see a never-ending stream of offers they aren’t interested in. There is a separate cutter for shredding CDs, DVDs for protecting the main cutter and prolonging the life of the machine. Through this way, you can dispense unwanted CDs or destroy sensitive files that may be contained on the discs.
The shredder has a 5-gallon bin with a clear plastic glass that easily lets you see how much space is left. Its reverse feature helps to clear out the shredder in case of jams. Even better, it has a light indicator that lets you know when it is time to cool down, so you don’t have to watch the clock. If you are looking for an affordable shredder then this is an excellent shredder for your moderate budget.
- Wicked-fast shredding, at nearly double its rated speed.
- Small shred size means greater security.
- Strictly for light-duty use.
- No jam protection.
- Shreds up to 14 sheets per minute
- 5-gallon pull-out waste bin capacity makes emptying fast and easy
- It can shred DVDs and CDs through a separate cutter to prevent wear and tear of the main cutters and extend shredder life
- Its design and compact size suited for personal use
- Super cross-cut shred style meets P4 security level
- Automatic light indicate when cool-down and other status symbols
The Swingline 14 sheet paper shredder makes the list as a superb option for shredding your valuable documents. At 20.5 pounds and 14”×24.5”×18.69” dimensioned Swingline shredder neatly placed under a desk or in a corner. It can easily shred paper with paper clips, staples, credit cards and CDs. Separate feeding slot for paper and Credit card/ CD help to maintain quality of shredder. The super cross-cut shred can cut through 14 sheets at ones with a single letter size sheet shredded into more than 400 pieces. At the end of 20 minutes run time, an illuminated cool-down indicator directs the user to power off the recommended 15 minutes before resuming shredding.
AmazonBasics is the best choice If you are searching for a standard shredder. Besides the uniqueness of Cutting speed and long time running capacity, it’s perfectly suited for home or light office use. You can shred 6 sheets per pass with this cross-cut shredder with a dimension of 7/32 by 1-27/32 inches. This is one of the perfect shredders for home or small office use. It needs half an hour cool down time after running for two minutes. If you have a lot of papers are to be shredded in two minutes then it is not going to meet your expectation as it suites more for small business or homely use. If you take the shredder for what it is, however, it is perfectly capable, and it is reasonably priced for any household. Amazon offers a one year warranty for the shredder.
- Lacks power
- Small capacity bin
- 6 sheets capacity shredder with two minutes run time
- Destroys credit cards (one at a time)
- Shreds paper measures 7/32 by 1-27/32 inches
- 30 minute cool down time after running for 2 minutes continuously.
- Auto start and manual reverse reduce paper jams
- 8.7-inch-wide paper feed; 3.8-gallon bin
- Thermal protection with auto shut-off
- Measures 15 by 12.1 by 7.7 inches
- Backed by an AmazonBasics 1-year Limited Warranty
The AmazonBasics 6 sheet paper and credit card shredder is more suited for home or home office; because its used for quick, easy and limited shredding purpose. The 3.8-gallon bin is right for a shredder that has a 2 minutes run time. Run time aside, it can shred bank papers; Old tax returns and junk mail make this unit perfect for use in a small business or home office. The shredding begins if the sensor detects any piece of paper or single credit card has entered into the paper feed. If you are looking for quick, easy, secure home used shredder, we recommend AmazonBasics 6 sheet cross-cut paper shredder.
Amazon Basics 12 sheet paper shredder is twice as fast as AmazonBasics 6 sheet shredder it saves your precious time. AmazonBasics 12 sheet shredder is capable of shredding papers, credit cards, CDs and more. It can shred up to 12 sheets per pass. Its 6.7-gallon pullout wastebasket holds more enough space to add the shredder for easy disposal. In other aspects, this shredder falls short, however. Limited runtime and the lengthy cool-down period are the small drawbacks of this. Although it comes with an auto-shutoff feature to prevent overheating, it can only run for 8 minutes at a time and requires a significant 45-minute cool-down before running it again. There is separate slot for CDs and DVDs, providing additional wear and tear. The 12-Sheet Amazon Basics is powerful enough to shred six feet of paper per minute, but its short runtime and extended cool-down period prevent this from being a truly excellent model.
- Low price.
- Solid speed.
- Shreds optical discs and plastic cards as well as paper
- For light-duty use only.
- Low basket capacity.
- Short shredding period requires 45-minute cooldown.
- It cannot shred staples, paper clips, or other metal items.
- High-security, micro-cut shredder with 12-sheet capacity; destroys credit cards, CDs, and DVDs (one at a time)
- Shreds paper into tiny pieces (5/32 by 15/32 inches) at a rate of 6 feet per minute
- 8 minute continuous run time with 45 minutes cool down time; Auto start and manual reverse to clear paper jams
- 7-gallon pullout bin; 9.1-inch-wide paper feed; thermal protection with auto shut-off
- Measures 24.29 by 17.01 by 13.39 inches; Backed by an AmazonBasics 1-year Limited Warranty
The AmazonBasics 12 sheet paper shredder easily cut paper into 5/32” and 15/32”bits of confetti with ease. 12 sheets per capacity are not ideally suited for lengthy shredding session so this micro cut shredder is apt for home use or small office use. Fortunately, the 6.7-gallon bin holds more than enough space to add in both shredded credit card and CDs for good measures. The 8 minutes continuous run time is paired with 45-minutes cool down time that provides just enough time to get through a single shredding session. The 9.1-inch paper feed offers both auto start and manual reverse to clear out any paper jams. An automatic shut off feature protects against the machine’s motor overheating by automatically turning if off to allow it time to cool down. At 65 decibels, its volume is best stated as mid-range, not too loud, but not too soft.
The Fellowes Powershred 125Ci is one of the most expensive – and powerful – shredders on the market. Its 100% Jam Proof technology is designed to power through tough jobs without jamming, its safe sense technology automatically disables shredder when human hands touch the paper opening. The Powershred 125Ci stands out is its ability to tackle up to 20 papers at a time. Its extra-large 14-gallon removable wastebasket LED full bin-full indicator to eliminate the need for frequent emptying with high volume shred job, that saving a significant amount of time in its own right. The Powershred is backed by a two-year warranty. Continuous duty motors for nonstop shredding allow you to finish shred jobs in single sitting. This is an ideal shredder for shred hundreds or thousands of papers and documents a day.
- Jam resistance
- Mess reduction
- Quality construction
- Quiet operation
- Secure cut size
- High sheet capacity
- Suited for large shredding purpose
- A bit pricey
- Ideal for 1-5 users
- Shreds 20 sheets per pass into 3.9 x 38mm cross-cut particles, security level P-4
- Shreds staples, paper clips, credit cards, and CDs/DVDs
- 100% Jam Proof system eliminates paper jams and powers through tough jobs
- SafeSense® Technology stops shredding when hands touch the paper entry
- Energy Savings System powers down after periods of inactivity, reducing energy consumption
- SilentShred® offers ultra-quiet performance for shared workspaces
- Continuous duty motor for non-stop shredding
- 53L pull-out bin ensures easy waste disposal
- Separate waste bin for CDs allows waste to be segregated for recycling
- 2-year machine warranty and 20-year cutter warranty
One of the main reasons why this is without a doubt the best paper shredder I have ever come across is that it can run for 45 minutes with no interruption. The design complements the functionality 100%. It looks excellent and reminds one of a nice computer case. The size of the shredder is similar to a PC case, as well. I found that the wastebasket of a shredder is a vital component. Most of them are difficult to get out and put back in. I was blown away by how easy it is to do that with the 125Ci. Even though it shreds 20 sheets of paper, it isn’t noisy at all. It does make a sound, but it’s not at all bothering. This aspect will come in very handy if a business owner decides to buy this for his office, where silence is needed for focusing.
If you want to shred a large volume of papers in a limited time you know how time-consuming the process can be, especially if you have to deal with lengthy cool-down periods. We can blindly choose the Royal 1840MX for long shredding sessions. Royal 1840 MX shredder can handle up to 18 sheets of paper per pass. This shredder can run for 40 minutes before it required cool down time. It also needs shorter break to work properly, 30 minutes cool down time is not too long compared to other shredders cool down time. It can shred papers, CDs and credit cards, in small particles. It’s large 8.5-gallon waste bin suitable for long run time, and it is minimizing your trips to the recycling bin. Only 60 dB of noise is created when it is in running status. The best features of this shredder are its available warranty. Royal backs their shredders with a five-year cutter blade and motor warranty that good for long-term shredding process, and guaranteeing years of shredding. The 1840MX is not cheap, but that warranty goes a long way to ensuring peace of mind and guaranteeing a quality product.
- Fast and efficient shredding
- Ability to work constantly over 40 minutes
- Quick and quiet operation
- Durability, sturdiness, and reliability
- Caster wheels for easy mobility
- Extra large capacity bin
- Automatic Jamming prevention
- Narrow and small paper slot
- You have to install the wheels yourself
- Shreds up to 18 sheets of paper in a single pass
- Shred with size of 5/32″ x 1 1/8″ provide maximum security
- Shreds sheets in 5 seconds
- Shreds CDs and DVDs
- Shreds credit cards
- Auto start/stop and reverse function
- Classic console design
- Ultra Quiet
- 8 1/2 gallon wastebasket
- 40 minutes continuous run time
- Jam-free roller to reduce paper jams
- Castors for easy mobility
Royal 1840MX is one of the best paper shredder available in the market. This is more suitable for large volume of shredding work and quiet operating system. It also has a huge capacity which helps in special cases like when you have a huge load of trash. It works for long time and its cross-cut features provide high security to tour products. But this shredder does not have the safety lock that would help to reduce accident/injury if you have children or pets at home, it is better to unplug it every time you leave the home. This shredder is very powerful and more efficient but you carefully consider whether you truly need all of these advanced features. Otherwise, this product is precise, what your office needs
#7 Bonsaii EverShred C169-B 14-Sheet Cross-Cut Heavy Duty Paper Shredder
If you have to shred large volume of documents on a regular basis, you need specially featured shredder that is called Bonsaii EverShred C169-B. This cross cut high-security shredder with 30 minutes of continuous shredding capacity destroy your document securely paperwork in a single sitting. Bonsaii EverShred can shred 14 sheets of paper at a time, and it shreds them down to a manageable 5 x 40 millimeters in size. Its Jam protection system with auto reverse easily detects when Jam occurs. The 30-minute continuous runtime and 10 minutes cool down time before run again is impressive. So if you’re not able to shred everything you need in a single sitting, you won’t have to wait long. 4.5-gallon bin is the only real problem of this shredder. 4.5 gallons bin size is not a matter, but it is smaller than both of the previous shredders on this list. Still, it is a small issue and doesn’t detract from the quality of this shredder.
- Reasonable speed
- Small bin
- Exaggerated capacity
- Continuous running time up to 30 minutes without stopping for mass documents destroying about 3500 sheets completely.
- Cross-cut paper shredder with 14 sheets shredding capacity
- Shreds paper into tiny particles measuring 1/4 x 1-14/25 inches.
- Jam protection system with auto start and auto reverse to protect you from paper jams.
- Overheating and overloading protection technology to keep sustainable using the shredder and prolong its lifetime.
The Bonsaii EverShred C169-B is a decent performing cross-cut model with high shredding speed. However, it also has some clear limitations. It’s advertised that maximum capacity to be exaggerated, which creates the potential of unknowingly producing readable, unshredded bits. Also, its small waste bin capacity directly related to the speed of the machine because any large shredding job will force you to head out to the dumpster more often. The EverShred C169-B just could not match the incredible performance and relatively low cost.